This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Motto||The Innovative Polytechnic|
|Established||1 April 1992|
180 Ang Mo Kio Ave 8, Singapore 569830
|Campus||30 hectares (74 acres)|
|Jurisdiction||Government of Singapore|
|Parent agency||Ministry of Education|
Nanyang Polytechnic (NYP) was established on 1 April 1992 and enrolled its first batch of students for its School of Health Sciences and School of Business Management in July 1992. The School of Engineering and the School of Information Technology were opened in July 1993.
The French-Singapore Institute, German-Singapore Institute and the Japan-Singapore Institute were transferred from the Economic Development Board to the Polytechnic in February 1993.
NYP originally operated from five temporary campuses (Bukit Merah and Tiong Bahru: School of Business; Jurong: School of Engineering; Outram: School of Nursing; Yishun: School of Engineering and School of Information Technology) before moving to its permanent home in Ang Mo Kio in April 1998.
In April 2021, the School of Chemical and Life Sciences (SCL) was rebranded to the School of Applied Science. That same year, the School of Design and the School of Interactive & Digital Media merged to form the School of Design & Media.
Mr Chan Lee Mun took over as Principal and CEO in August 2007; Mr Lin Cheng Ton went on to head NYP International.
Ms Jeanne Liew took over as Principal and CEO in July 2015.
Nanyang Polytechnic is situated beside Yio Chu Kang MRT station. The polytechnic houses blocks for administration, recreational, student development purposes and staff accommodation. Facilities include a fully computerised library, laboratories, a theatre for the Arts and an auditorium. Retail outlets on campus provide a variety of food and beverage as well as other leisure items.
Sports facilities include an adventure challenge park, track and field, gym, tennis courts and rock-climbing walls. There is also an indoor air-conditioned sports hall for badminton, table tennis and basketball. An Olympic-sized swimming complex is located beside the sports hall.
Nanyang Polytechnic has six academic schools, offering a variety of courses.
- School of Applied Science (SAS)
- School of Business Management (SBM)
- School of Design & Media (SDM)
- School of Engineering (SEG)
- School of Health & Social Sciences (SHSS)
- School of Information Technology (SIT)
School of Applied Science
The Nanyang Polytechnic School of Applied Science (NYP SAS) organises field trips to pharmaceutical plants and research institutes to provide learning experiences for students.
The school provides industrial attachment programmes in which students can gain first-hand learning experience of the life science industry before they graduate. Opportunities for attachment to companies overseas are also available under the Overseas Industrial Placement Programme.
School of Business Management
The Nanyang Polytechnic School of Business Management (NYP SBM) simulates a modern "Teaching Enterprise" environment that is in tune with the latest developments in the real business world.
Students have opportunities to work in an actual business environment and study key business modules in the first two years, before specialising in the second and final year of study.
School of Design & Media
The Nanyang Polytechnic School of Design & Media (NYP SDM) provides training in architecture, product and motion design, digital media, animation and game development.
School of Engineering
The Nanyang Polytechnic School of Engineering (NYP SEG) has a practice-oriented learning environment focusing on creating, designing, implementing and operating engineering systems and solutions.
School of Health & Social Sciences
The Nanyang Polytechnic School of Health & Social Sciences (NYP SHSS) is an established school where learners can gain the knowledge and skills to become healthcare and social service professionals.
School of Information Technology
The Nanyang Polytechnic School of Information Technology (NYP SIT) is one of the founding schools of Nanyang Polytechnic and started in July 1993. It offers a contextual teaching and learning approach where students can work full-time on projects; taking theoretical concepts and turning them into real-world solutions.
Nanyang Polytechnic has won many awards and recognitions. These include:
- Work-Life Achiever Award (2012)
- Singapore Quality Award (2011)
- Public Service Achievement Award (2010)
- Innovation Excellence Award (2009)
- SHRI Leading HR Practices in E-Human Resource Management Award (2009)
- Hewitt Best Employer Award (2009)
- BCA Green Mark Platinum Award (2005)
- ASEAN Energy Efficiency and Conservation Best Practices Competition (2004)
- ISO9001:2000 Certification (2001)
- ISO9001 Certification (2000)
- ISO14001 Certification (1999)
- ISO9002 Certification (1996)
Nanyang Polytechnic has many students who have achieved success at both national and international levels. Some accolades include:
- 2013 WorldSkills Leipzig
- 2 golds, 3 medallions for excellence
- Federation of International Robot-soccer Association RoboWorld Cup 2012
- 7 gold, 3 silver and 2 bronze, the world record for 6-metre sprint
- SLA Spatial Challenge 2012
- 2012 WorldSkills Singapore
- 21 medals
- Tan Kah Kee Young Inventors' Award 2012
- 7 awards
- 2012 National InfoComm Competition
- 2010 WorldSkills Global
- 2 golds, 1 bronze and 3 medallions for excellence
- Romeo Tan, Mediacorp actor
- Carrie Wong, Mediacorp actress
- Chantalle Ng, Mediacorp actress
- Hossan Leong, Singaporean actor
- Vanessa Peh, Miss Singapore World 2018
- Anupama Aura Gurung, Miss Nepal Earth 2011
- Ethan Ng, Mr International Singapore 2023
† = deceased
- Hariss Harun, footballer and captain of the Singapore national team
- Lionel Lewis, former Singapore national team footballer
- Helena Wong, Singaporean weightlifter
- Reuben Kee†, Singaporean dragon boat paddler