|Children||2, including Kwon Hyun-sang|
|Honours||Legion of Honour - Knight (2007)|
|Revised Romanization||Im Gwon-taek|
Im Kwon-taek (Korean: 임권택; born December 8, 1934) is one of South Korea's most renowned film directors. In an active and prolific career, his films have won many domestic and international film festival awards as well as considerable box-office success, and helped bring international attention to the Korean film industry. As of spring 2015, he has directed 102 films.
Im Kwon-taek was born in Jangseong, Jeollanam-do and grew up in Gwangju. After the Korean War, he moved to Busan in search of work. He then moved to Seoul in 1956, where Jeong Chang-hwa, director of Five Fingers of Death (1972), offered him room and board for work as a production assistant. Jeong recommended him for directing in 1961.
Before 1980 he was known primarily as a commercial filmmaker who could efficiently direct as many as eight genre pictures a year, helping to fulfill the quota for domestic pictures set by the government . His desire to make more artistically satisfying films began to show itself with his 1978 film Jokbo (Genealogy or The Family Tree), but the turning point of his career came with the 1981 film Mandala. From this point his films have been regarded as art-house cinema, and have been regularly shown at international film festivals, and have won numerous awards.
Im has continued to explore themes from Korea's past while also focusing on the Korean cultural identity in modern times. Among Im's most notable recent films are Sopyonje (1993) and Chunhyang (2000), both of which concentrate on the traditional Korean musical art of pansori. The latter film was also based on a traditional Korean legend. Apart from being a critical success, Sopyonje was also a success at the box office, becoming the first domestic film to draw over a million viewers in Seoul alone. Chihwaseon (2002) was also a critical success, earning him Korea's first Best Director award at the Cannes Film Festival. Im Kwon-taek was awarded an Honorary Golden Bear award at the Berlin Film Festival in 2005.
Im Kwon-taek's status, brought on by the critical success of his films, overlapped with a period of the film movement called "New Korean Cinema" or "Korean New Wave". Along with other directors, such as Park Gwang-su and Jang Sun-woo, Im is recognized as one of the founding figures of the movement, which gained international critical recognition and acclaim for Korean Cinema.
In April 2007, Im released his 100th film Beyond the Years, an informal sequel to Sopyonje. In November 2007 the French government announced that it would make Im a knight of the French Legion of Honor.
He married the actress Chae Ryeong (ko), who appeared in several of his films. Their two sons Im Dong-joon and Im Dong-jae (the latter uses the stage name Kwon Hyun-sang) are also active in the film industry.
|Filmography of Im Kwon-taek|
|Year||Hangul Title||Hanja Title||Romanized Title||English Title||Alternate English Title|
|Films in the 1960s|
|1962||두만강아 잘 있거라||Dumanganga jal itgeola||Farewell to the Duman River|
|전쟁과 노인||Jeonjaenggwa noin||Old Man in the Combat Zone||The War and an Old Man|
|1963||남자는 안팔려||Namjaneun anpallyeo||Actors Disguised as Women|
|망부석||Mangbuseog||A Wife Turned to Stone|
|신문고||Shinmungo||The Throne Memorial Drum|
|욕망의 결산||Yogmangui gyeolsan||The End of Desire|
|1964||십자매 선생||Shibjamae seonsaeng||Father of Ten Daughters|
|단장록||Danjang lok||The Prince's Revolt|
|단골 지각생||Dangol jikaksaeng||The Latecomer|
|십년세도||Shibnyeon sedo||The Ten-Year Rule|
|영화 마마||Yeonghwa mama||Queen Yongwha's Avenger|
|1965||빗 속에 지다||Bitsoke jida||Death of an Informer|
|왕과 상노||Wanggwa sangno||A Bogus Nobleman|
|1966||전쟁과 여교사||Jeonjaenggwa yeogyosa||Schoolmistress on the Battlefield|
|법창을 울린 옥이||Beobchangeul ullin oki||Miss Ok and the Divided Court|
|나는 왕이다||Naneum wang-ida||I Am a King|
|닐니리||Nilniri||A Triangle in Noble Families|
|청사초롱||Cheongsa choryong||The Feudal Tenant|
|1967||풍운의 검객||Pungunui geomgaek||Swordsmen|
|망향천리||Manghyang cheonri||A Wife Retrieved|
|1968||요화 장희빈||妖花 張禧嬪||Yohwa Jang Huibin||Femme Fatale, Jang Hee-bin|
|바람 같은 사나이||Baramgateun sanai||A Man Called the Wind|
|몽녀||夢女||Mongnyeo||The Waking Woman|
|돌아온 왼손잡이||Dolaon winsonjabi||Return from the Sea||Return of the Left-Handed Man|
|Sanai samdae||Three Generations of Men|
|1969||비나리는 고모령||Binaerineun gomoryeong||Best Friends and Their Wives||Rain on Gomo Bridge|
|상해 탈출||Shanghai talchul||Escape from Shanghai|
|십오야||Shiboya||Night of the Full Moon|
|황야의 독수리||Hwangyaui doksori||Eagle of the Plains|
|신세 좀 지자구요||Shinse jom jijaguyo||Would You Help Me?|
|Films in the 1970s|
|1970||월하의 검||Wolhaui geom||Swords Under the Moon|
|애꾸눈 박||Aeggunun Park||One-Eyed Mr. Park|
|이슬 맞은 백일홍||Iseulmajeun baekilhong||Unmarried Mother|
|비나리는 선창가||Binaerineun seonchangga||A Vagabond's Story|
|그여자를 쫓아라||Geu yeojareul jjochara||A Woman Pursued|
|밤차로 온 사나이||Bamcharo on sanai||Man on the Night Train|
|비검||Bigeom||The Flying Sword|
|속눈썹이 긴 여자||Soknunseobi kin yeoja||A Snapshot and a Murder|
|1971||원한의 거리에 눈이 내린다||Wonhanui geori nuni naerinda||Snowing on Grudge Street|
|30년만의 대결||30 nyeonmanui daegyeol||The 30-Year Showdown|
|원한의 두 꼽추||Weonhan ui tu kkobchu||Revenge of Two Sons|
|나를 더 이상 괴롭히지 마라||Nareul deoisang goerobhiji mara||In Search of the Secret Agent||Don't Torture Me Anymore|
|둘째 어머니||Duljjae eomeoni||A Stepmother's Heartache|
|1972||명동 삼국지||Myeongdong samgukji||Gangsters of Myeongdong||Whirl of Betrayals on Myeongdong|
|명동 잔혹사||Myeongdong janhoksa||Cruelty on the Streets of Myeongdong|
|돌아온 자와 떠나야 할 자||Dolaon jawa ddeonaya hal ja||Arrivals and Departures||One Returns and the Other Leaves|
|삼국대협||三國大俠||Samguk daehyeob||Seize the Precious Sword|
|1973||Janganmyeonggi obaekwa||Five Hostesses for the Resistance|
|대추격||Daechugyeok||Pursuit of the Bandits||The Big Chase|
|잡초||Jabcho||The Deserted Widow||Weeds|
|1974||아내들의 행진||아내들의 行進||Anaedeului haengjin||Wives on Parade|
|울지 않으리||Ulji aneuri||I'll Never Cry Again|
|연화||Yeonhwa||The Hidden Princess|
|연화 2||Yeonhwa 2||The Hidden Princess, Part 2|
|왜 그랬던가||Wae guraetdeonga||Who and Why?|
|1975||어제 오늘 그리고 내일||Eoje, oneul, geurigo naeil||Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow|
|1976||왕십리||Wangshibri||A Byegone Romance||Wang Sib Ri, My Hometown|
|맨발의 눈길||Maenbalui nunkil||Overcome by Misfortunes||Barefoot In The Snow|
|낙동강은 흐르는가||洛東江은 흐르는가||Nakdongkaneun heureuneunga||Commando on the Nakdong River|
|아내||Anae||Wife||The Industrious Wife|
|1977||옥례기||Okryegi||The Virtuous Woman||The Life of Okrye|
|임진왜란과 계월향||壬辰倭亂과 桂月香||Imjinrangwa gyewolhyang||Madame Kye in the Imjin War|
|1978||상록수||常綠樹||Sangroksu||The Evergreen Tree|
|가깝고도 먼 길||Gaggabgodo meon kil||Near Yet Far Away|
|1979||내일 또 내일||Naeil ddo naeil||Again Tomorrow|
|족보||族譜||Jokbo||The Genealogy||The Family Pedigree|
|저 파도 위에 엄마 얼굴이||Jeo padowie eoma eolguli||The Little Adventurer|
|깃발없는 기수||깃발없는 旗手||Gitbaleobtneun gisu||The Hidden Hero||No Glory|
|신궁||神弓||Shingung||The Divine Bow|
|Films in the 1980s|
|1980||복부인||Bokbuin||The Wealthy Woman||Mrs. Speculator|
|짝코||Jagko||Pursuit of Death|
|1982||아벤고 공수 군단||Abenko gongsu gundan||Abenko Green Berets|
|우상의 눈물||Woosangui nunmul||High School Tears||Tears of the Idol|
|오염된 자식들||Oyeomdoen jashikdeul||The Polluted One|
|안개 마을||Angae maeul||Village in the Mist|
|나비 품에서 울었다||Nabipumeseo uleotda||In the Bosom of a Butterfly|
|1983||불의 딸||Bului dal||Daughter of the Flames|
|1984||흐르는 강물을 어찌 막으랴||Heureuneun gangmuleul eojji makeorya||The Eternal Flow||You Can't Stop a River|
|씨받이||Sibaji||The Surrogate Woman|
|연산일기||Yeonsan ilgi||Diary of King Yeonsan|
|1989||아제 아제 바라 아제||Aje aje bara aje||Come Come Come Upward|
|손에 손 잡고||Hand in Hand|
|Films in the 1990s|
|1990||장군의 아들||將軍의 아들||Janggunui adeul||General's Son|
|1991||장군의 아들 2||將軍의 아들 2||Janggunui adeul II||The General's Son II|
|개벽||開闢||Gaebyeok||Fly High Run Far|
|1992||장군의 아들 3||將軍의 아들 3||Janggunui adeul III||The General's Son III|
|1994||태백산맥||太白山脈||Taebaek sanmaek||The Taebaek Mountains|
|Films since 2000|
|2004||하류인생||下流人生||Haryu insaeng||Low Life|
|2007||천년학||千年鶴||Cheonnyeonhak||Beyond the Years|
|2011||달빛 길어올리기||Dalbit Gireoolligi||Hanji|
- Asian Film Awards:
- Lifetime Achievement Award
- Asia Pacific Film Festival
- Special Jury Award Chunhyang (2000)
- Best Director and Best Film Sibaji (1987)
- Berlin International Film Festival
- Cannes Film Festival
- Grand Bell Awards (Korea), Best Director
- Testimony (Jungon) (1974)
- Jokbo (Genealogy/Family Tree) (1979)
- Mandala (1981)
- Ticket (1986)
- Yeonsan ilgi (Diary of King Yonsan) (1988)
- Hankuk Play and Film Arts Awards (Korea), Best Director
- Wangshibri (A Byegone Romance) (1976)
- Nakdongkaneun heureuneunga (Commando on the Nakdong River) (1976)
- Angae maeul (Village in the Mist) (1983)
- Hawaii International Film Festival
- Best Feature Film Chunhyang (2000)
- International Film Festival of India
- Lifetime Achievement Award
- Korean Film Critics Awards, Best Director
- Gilsoddeum (Gilsodom) (1986)
- Ticket (1986)
- 16th Moscow International Film Festival
- Golden St. George: Come Come Come Upward (1989) (nominated)
- Busan International Film Festival
- Netpac Award Chunhyang (2000)
- The Asian Filmmaker of the Year (2021)
- San Francisco International Film Festival
- Akira Kurosawa Award (1998)
- Shanghai International Film Festival
- Golden Goblet - Best Director Seopyeonje (1993)
- Singapore International Film Festival
- 2001 Silver Screen Award - Best Asian Director Chunhyang (2000)
- 2014 Silver Screen Award - Honorary Award
- Beautiful Artist Awards
(Shin Young-kyun Arts and Culture Foundation)
- Meritorious Artist Award (2023)
|France||Legion d'Honneur - Jacques Chirac Administration||2007||the Chevalier (Knight) order|
- Lee, Hyo-won (28 November 2007). "France to Award Director Im Kwon-taek". The Korea Times. Archived from the original on 9 July 2022. Retrieved 9 July 2022.
- "Cloud, Encore". BIFF. October 2018. Archived from the original on 23 September 2018. Retrieved 23 September 2018.
- Conran, Pierce (22 February 2017). "Documentary on IM Kwon-taek Seeks Crowdfunding Support". Korean Film Biz Zone. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- Kim, Jessica (16 July 2010). "Director Lim Kwon-taek and wife walk PiFan red carpet". 10Asia. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- "Im Kwon-taek's Son Follows Dad into Showbiz". The Chosun Ilbo. 11 August 2010. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- Filmography from "임권택 (Kwon-Taek Lim / 林權澤)". mydvdlist.co.kr (in Korean). Retrieved 19 November 2007.[permanent dead link]; Im Kwon-taek at IMDb and James, David E.; Kim Kyung-hyun, eds. (2002). Im Kwon-Taek: The Making of a Korean National Cinema. Detroit: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-2869-5.
- "Berlinale: 1986 Programme". berlinale.de. Retrieved 2011-01-16.
- "Berlinale: 1995 Programme". berlinale.de. Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- "Festival de Cannes: Chi-hwa-seon". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-10-24.
- "Im Kwon Taek likes Shahrukh Khan's work". Hindustan Times. 20 November 2016. Retrieved 2016-12-09.
- "16th Moscow International Film Festival (1989)". MIFF. Archived from the original on March 16, 2013. Retrieved 2013-02-24.
- Kim Ye-rang (October 6, 2021). "[BIFF] 임권택 "평생 사랑한 영화, 지금까지 만들어 행복" [[BIFF] Im Kwon-taek "The movie I've loved all my life, I'm happy I made it so far]. Hankyung (in Korean). Retrieved October 6, 2021 – via Naver.
- Lee, Jae-hoon (October 24, 2023). "이정재·이순재·조인성, '제13회 아름다운예술인상' 수상" [Lee Jung-jae, Lee Soon-jae, Jo In-sung, 'The 13th Beautiful Artist Award]. Newsis (in Korean). Retrieved November 14, 2023 – via Naver.
- Beech, Hannah (3 June 2002). "The Unbearable Sadness of Being Korean". Time. Archived from the original on September 30, 2007. Retrieved 17 November 2007.
- Page about the Korean New Wave at asianinfo.org
- Biography and interview at cinekorea.com
- Crow, Jonathan. "Im Kwon-Taek: Biography". Allmovie. Retrieved 3 November 2007.[permanent dead link]
- Im Kwon-taek at IMDb
- Interview: Reflection In A Mirror at asianfilms.org
- James, David E.; Kim Kyung-hyun, eds. (2002). Im Kwon-Taek: The Making of a Korean National Cinema. Detroit: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-2869-5.
- Lee, Young-il (1988). The History of Korean Cinema. Motion Picture Promotion Corporation. ISBN 89-88095-12-X., p. 342-343.
- (in Korean) Naver Cast - Im Kwon-taek
- (in Korean) Doosan Encyclopedia - Im Kwon-taek