|Part of a series on|
Left-arm orthodox spin or left-arm off spin, also known as slow left-arm orthodox spin bowling, is a type of left-arm finger spin bowling in the sport of cricket. Left-arm orthodox spin is bowled by a left-arm bowler using the fingers to spin the ball from right to left of the cricket pitch (from the bowler's perspective).
Right-arm orthodox spin bowlers generally attempt to drift the ball in the air into a right-handed batsman, and then turn it away from the batsman (towards off-stump) upon landing on the pitch. The drift and turn in the air are attacking techniques. The stock delivery of a left-arm orthodox spin bowler is the left-arm orthodox spinner.
The major variations of a left-arm orthodox spin bowler are the topspinner (which turns less and bounces higher in the cricket pitch), the arm ball (which does not turn at all and drifts into a right-handed batsman in the direction of the bowler's arm movement; also called a 'floater') and the left-arm spinner's version of a doosra (which turns the other way).
Notable slow left-arm orthodox spin bowlers
Players listed below are included as they meet specific criteria which are generally recognized as having achieved significant success in the art of left-arm orthodox spin bowling. For example, leading wicket-takers, and inventors of new deliveries.
- Rangana Herath – 433 Test wickets (Highest by a left arm Spinner in all Mens Test) 74 ODI Wickets and 18 T20I Wickets
- Sanath Jayasuriya – 98 Test wickets , 323 ODI Wickets (Highest by a left arm Spinner in all Mens ODIs) and 19 T20I Wickets
- Daniel Vettori – 362 Test wickets and 305 ODI wickets
- Derek Underwood – 297 Test wickets
- Ravindra Jadeja – 268 Test wickets and 191 ODI wickets
- Bishan Singh Bedi – 266 Test wickets
- Shakib Al Hasan – 231 Test wickets, 136 T20I wickets (the most for any bowler in men's T20Is) and 301 ODI wickets
- Ravi Shastri – 151 Test wickets
- Keshav Maharaj – 158 Test Wickets
- Ashley Giles – 143 Test wickets
- Taijul Islam – 166 Test wickets
- Jess Jonassen – 135 ODI wickets and 91 T20I wickets
- Sophie Ecclestone – 97 T20I wickets
- Ajaz Patel – Only left-arm orthodox spinner to take 10 wickets in an innings of a Test Match
- Monty Panesar – 167 Test wickets
- Ashton Agar – Highest test score by a number 11 batsman
- "How to bowl left-arm spin". News.bbc.co.uk. 30 October 2003. Retrieved 21 June 2019.
- "MasterClass: Left arm spin bowling with Nadeem". YouTube. 17 October 2013. Archived from the original on 17 November 2021. Retrieved 21 June 2019.
- "Records / Twenty20 Internationals / Bowling records / Most wickets in career". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 30 March 2023.